10 tips to stay safe on social media
- Use a strong password. The longer it is, the more secure it will be.
- Use a different password for each of your social media accounts.
- Set up your security answers. This option is available for most social media sites.
- If you have social media apps on your phone, be sure to password protect your device.
- Be selective with friend requests. If you don’t know the person, don’t accept their request. It could be a fake account.
- Click links with caution. Social media accounts are regularly hacked. Look out for language or content that does not sound like something your friend would post.
- Be careful about what you share. Don’t reveal sensitive personal information ie: home address, financial information, phone number. The more you post the easier it is to have your identity stolen.
- Become familiar with the privacy policies of the social media channels you use and customize your privacy settings to control who sees what.
- Protect your computer by installing antivirus software to safeguard. Also ensure that your browser, operating system, and software are kept up to date.
- Remember to log off when you’re done.
Credit : https://carleton.com