5 Ways to Stay Safe from Cyber Attacks
- Use a different password for each account Suppose you use the same password for sites like Gmail, Facebook and Outlook and your password for Facebook gets revealed to someone. That person can then access your Gmail and Outlook accounts as well. To avoid this, use different passwords at least for all important sites like email, social
networking and online payment accounts. Prefer random text over meaningful words as password. A trick to form strong passwords is using acronyms. First, form a sentence like: I study in COEP Computer Engineering. Now use the first letters of all the words to form a password like “IsiCCE”
- Important software like browser, payment wallet apps should be updated regularly Browsers may contain some vulnerability which attackers can exploit to steal information. The developers of these software keep repairing such flaws thorough updates to these software. So it is important to update these software regularly.
- Avoid opening links of lotteries, prizes, gifts, discounts It is rightly said, “If you are not paying for the product, then you are the product.” Next time you get an email telling you have won a huge amount in the lottery (even though you did not purchase any lottery ticket), or telling you that you have won an iPhone, do not open any link from the email and report the email as spam.
- Download all software from authentic sources, avoid downloading software (executable files) from torrent sites Software from non-authentic sources may be modified by attackers to steal user information. Always download software from authentic sources.
- While using third party computers or mobiles for browsing use the private/incognito mode The browser’s private/incognito mode does not store browsing history and user credentials. So prefer it when using third party computers.
Credit : https://medium.com